Sunday, July 1, 2007

Time flies!

It feels like I just sat down to write my before the weekend blog and now the weekend is over! We ended up having a nice relaxing movie night last night instead of going to the party (which was cancelled due to rain) and watched "Eight Below". A good movie, but maybe not the best for a sensitive 5 year old who is particualrly fond of dogs since two of the dogs die in the movie. I have gotten pretty lax about screening movies before Bryn watches them - I may have to get a little more vigilant again. I know that I can't shield her from all the sad things in life, but I am thinking I can shield myself from having to watch her get upset during a movie!

We had a nice Sunday...The Bridges of Hope soup kitchen foray went well this morning - we fed about 135 today. We went to Christina and Jake's tonight for dinner and had a nice time. I am going to watch their 11 month old son Levi tomorrow - her parents were planning to be here but are flooded in in southern Kansas. I know many parts of the country are praying for rain, but it sure is causing some problems here. Evidently some of the oil refineries are under water and there is oil all over the town - Kansas has definitely had a bad year for weather related disasters this year. We have been very fortunate to only have minor flooding here that affected me only once when I had to backtrack due to a closed road trying to get to the college to teach a class.

Aaron hasn't heard yet from UMKC - not that big of a deal except I am sure our landlord is wondering if we are ever going to tell him whether we are going to stay or go! I figure as long as we are paying him, he is probably not going to get too upset...that is what I am hoping for anyway!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, poor Bryn. I haven't seen that movie yet and think I'll skip it. My oldest used to cry everytime she watched All Dogs Go To Heaven. She's almost 14 now and still gets sad when she hears the mention of that movie, LOL.

Debi said...

Oh, I am so relieved to hear you all are okay! At least so far. Rich and I were looking at a map of where all the flooding is and it looked like you may have been inundated. Was debating calling you all, but I knew you had a busy, busy weekend planned. Figured we'd wait until today and see if you popped up here with any news. Sounds like you're not out of the woods yet though, huh? Are Aaron's parents okay, too?

Poor, sweet Bryn! Hope she doesn't get death obsessed like Annie did with Bambi and The Lion King. Of course I think that had more to do with other things than the actual movies. But I feel for her...I'm a total bawler myself...and I can't seem to let those feeling go for a while, even though I know full well it's all fiction.

Hope you all hear something today about the job! I just hate that limbo feeling of waiting for news.

gail@more than a song said...

Haven't seen Eight Below so I might add it to my netflix!
We did get some rain last night after several weeks of none but I know some places have way too much....are you in Kansas?

Jennifer said...

I really liked that movie, though parts made me sad too!
Rain - why can't it just be evenly distributed? Less where there's too much and more where it's needed - like here!!!
If only life were that easy!

(Notice my new "name"? Still me, different look - my new design is done!!)

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Awww, poor thing, I bet she was upset! We went to the theater to watch Eight Below and I had trouble with parts of it, loving dogs the way I do! I couldnt' even watch part of it, I had to whisper to my husband to tell me when I could "look again". It's a great movie, but it is really sad and heart wrenching in spots.