Monday, September 15, 2008

Hair ripping good times

I seriously think I need a stiff drink (or 40)...

Why is it that college age students think they can disrespect an instructor? Why do think arguing is going to make me change a grade when they have CLEARLY not followed directions and/or failed to do what was asked of them? Why are my tax dollars paying for some students to receive grants to go to school when they obviously do not want to make an effort to learn? And why do I continue to let it get to me when it is clearly just one of those parts of my job that isn't going to change no matter how much I want it to?

5 comments:

Debi said...

Rich had a student just show up for class yesterday for the first time. (The semester started at the beginning of the Sept.) Why hadn't she been there the first two weeks? Well, she just got out jail. We were sort of wondering, do you think that falls in the excused or unexcused absence column?

~**Dawn**~ said...

You know what I think? I think paying for one's own college education makes one *much* more likley to be responsible & take it seriously. Trust me: I paid for mine (ha! I am *still* paying for mine) and I rarely missed a class or slacked off on my work. Unlike those students that had someone else footing the bill.

kreed said...

Dawn-

I think you are so right! And what I do know for sure is that whatever it is these students are doing, it is not working for them or for me!

Karen Hossink said...

Rrrgh. Sounds frustrating.
Come have a look at the Praying Mantis Joshua caught. Maybe that will lift your spirits a bit!

Susan said...

Hmmm...right as I'm considering going back to get my PhD to be able to teach college!! Actually, I think it's because this is a whole generation of kids that has been raised by helicopter parents who have swooped in to rescue them and fix all that is broken. So when they "break something" they don't want to "pay to fix it" cause they've never had to.

Just my opinion.

Susan