Monday, June 29, 2009

Here I am

I am still here...and in one piece with my hubby back home and (mostly) recovered from our illnesses.

We were kind of scattered all over this weekend...Bryn ended up at Grandma and Grandpa's despite still not feeling 100%. Aaron was in Alaska finding the 24 hours of daylight a little disconcerting. And Grant, the furry children and I held down the home front.

I had a bit of an anxiety inducing experience when I went out on what was supposed to be a 14 mile training walk with 4 other people on Saturday. At about mile 8 I was totally suffering. I just had no energy...I probably could have finished but was afraid to push it and didn't want to slow the rest of the group down. Don't know if it was the heat (90+ degrees), this darn cold that seems to be hanging on, lack of sleep, too little walking for the last couple/few weeks or a combo of all of the above, but I bailed out after about 9 miles and had to have someone come get me. She dropped me off close to the car and I went another 1.5 miles but now my walking partners are doubting my endurance and ability as am I. I am hoping it was just an off day as I have made it on longer walks without feeling that way. I really feel like it probably was, but the worst part is that it really raised doubts for all involved. I plan on going back over to the same route this Saturday and trying it again just to prove to myself that I can do it, but it is still disconcerting that it happened when there is only a month left before I have to go a whole 60 miles.

Besides that, things have been pretty good. Got an 8 mile walk done on Sunday. Got some grading done. Went to bookclub and had some fabulous food and conversation with a great group of women. Watched part of "Expedition Grizzly" with Bryn and we are now trying to figure out how to get to Yellowstone for vacation next summer. Got the flower beds weeded and got a few miles of walking in today.

We also finally decided what to do with the kitchen counter tops. I have been agonizing over it since we decided to add a few cabinets which requires some additional counter top. We currently have something similar to Corian which I have not been happy with. And we can replace the whole counter top with laminate for less than half of what it would cost to get the one additional piece. But I had more than one "are you crazy?" over the idea that I would "downgrade" to laminate. But in the end I am downgrading to laminate (which looks pretty darn good these days, by the way!) and hoping for the best. We'll see how it goes...

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I hope you get back to walking as many miles as you need to. You're inspiring me to do more walking next Spring and Summer, when it will be time to start working off the baby fat. Ok, maybe Summer because I'll be too busy in the Spring trying to finish my degree with a baby...

Let us know when you're in Manhattan sometime. I'd love to get together with you!

gail@more than a song said...

Your hubby has been in Alaska? Where? My youngest is there now! He went at the end of April and I miss him, hope he'll be home in September. I've never been! I think I could handle the staying light all the time in summer, but not much sun in the winter would do me in, not to mention the temps.
You'll have to show your counter tops later. I got laminate when we redid ours about 6-7 yrs ago but really wanted concrete! It was new then and we couldn't find anyone that knew anything a/b it.