Monday, February 18, 2008

Book Review - YA Challenge

I finished my first book for the YA Challenge, so here goes a quick review...

I enjoyed reading Hoot by Carl Hiaasen. It covers the basic traumas of being a kid and brings in some deeper life lessons...

Roy is the new kid in middle school - a role he is used to as his family moves around a lot with his dad's federal job. Roy is being picked on by the bus bully when he notices a kid running like the wind past the bus stop. Roy's curiosity gets the best of him and he ends up tracking the mysterious kid down to a camp in the woods. He finds out that the mystery runner is on a mission to save a local population of burrowing owls from being bulldozed to make way for a new pancake house.

Roy goes through many of the typical trials of young adulthood - being picked on, trying to fit in and make friends, walking the fine line between truth and lies with his parents, learning when to take a stand and when to back down and learning when to follow your heart to distinguish between right and wrong. And in the end, Roy and his friends learn how rewarding it can be to stand up for what you believe in.

2 comments:

Debi said...

I never did get around to reading this one (Annie and Rich both read it and enjoyed it though). Thought the movie was kinda cute.

tinylittlelibrarian said...

This is a fun one, I picked it for my library's kids' book club and they enjoyed it. I LOVE Hiassen's adult books, they're always hysterically funny. One day I'll get around to reading Flush, his next kids' book.